Thursday, June 4, 2015

My Decision to Serve


Serving a mission was something I never really considered, to be honest. My dad was baptized when he married my mom but soon became inactive because of work and some other excuses. Growing up it was always just my mom, my sister and I that went to church. All through out high school I always told my friends and family that I would never serve a mission. I never pictured myself as a missionary. No one in my family ever served a mission so I guess I had no one to look up to. When people from church would ask me about going on a mission I would always say that I was thinking, but inside of me I wasn’t really. By the time I graduated high school I had my whole future planned out (well I thought I did lol). I was accepted to Northern Arizona University and I was planning on becoming a CRNA. In June 2014 I started thinking about serving a mission and for some reason I was always interested in talking to return missionaries about their experiences. In July 2014 I moved to NAU for summer classes and serving a mission was always on my mind. I started to pray about it and soon came to a conclusion that I really wanted to serve. Every returned missionary that I have talked to always tells me the same thing… that it was 2 of their best years of their life. I knew I didn’t want to miss out of this wonderful experience. In August I told my parents that I wanted to go on a mission after completing 1 year at NAU. When I first told them I remember my mom got excited and my dad just stayed quiet. He told me that he would support me with any decision, but I can see it in his face that he was surprised/disappointed. Now, he says he was always happy for me, but I know his facial expressions and at that moment he wasn’t really excited/happy lol.

Before I received my mission call I would always think of places where I thought it would be cool to go. Sometimes I would think too far like Japan, Thailand or Tonga.  I’ve always wanted to serve somewhere poor, but I was willing to serve anywhere. I want to be able to appreciate the things I have more than I already do. We are blessed with many things, but sometimes we get greedy and forget how wonderful our lives are compared to some third world countries. Everyone always used to ask me why I chose Mexico lol, but in reality we don’t get to choose. We get sent to a place by revelation and it’s actually a really interesting process. If you guys would like to read about it Click Here.
On February 2, 2014 I received my mission call and it was one of the best days ever! I waited 4 days to open it but the wait was worth it. I was surprised when I read Mexico Villahermosa. I was kind of bummed I wasn’t going to be learning a new language. But, I know this is where our heavenly father needs me. Although it was not somewhere exotic, like some might say, I am still happy and blessed to be going to Mexico. In March 2015 my dad finally became active in church again. It was really cool to see how many things happened in 2015.

I could not be more excited to meet the people of Mexico and share with them the one thing that has brought me so much joy in my life. That is, the gospel of Jesus Christ!

I have a testimony that the gospel of Jesus Christ is real and has the power to change lives. I know that there is purpose to this life. I have faith in Jesus Christ and know that he chose to die for you and for me so that we could all live today. The book of Mormon is real can bring happiness to your life. I have received so many blessings in my life and I would not be going on a mission if I didn’t know this gospel was true. It always has & always will.

Sorry I don’t have a lot of pictures of when I opened my mission call. My family doesn’t really take good pics lol at least they try. I promise I will try to take pics all through out my mission and my sister will be updating this weekly.






No comments:

Post a Comment